top of page

Frequently Asked Questions

Have a question about drone regulations, pilot competency, or our training programs? We are here to help you!

  • Can I have more information on the available Drone Courses?
    You can find the complete course details here. Our Education Consultants would be happy to discuss the most suitable training based on your technology and training needs. We also understand that your organisation might require customised training or advise on current compliance needs. Reach out to us before investing in drone training: WhatsApp: Email: Call: +6010 259 9502
  • Do I need my own drone for training?
    No, you do not need your own drone for training. Many trainees attending our drone courses are new to drones and does not own a drone or have access to one at work. Our instructors are generally happy to discuss the different drone equipment suitable for your usage. Drone Academy Asia will prepare the drones to be used throughout your course. If you already own a DJI drone and have questions about it, our instructors will try our best to help you.
  • How do I become a Civil Aviation Authority of Malaysia (CAAM) Certified Competent Remote Pilot?
    To obtain your Remote Pilot Certificate of Competency, you will need to complete your Remote Pilot Certificate of Competency Course and pass the Theoretical Examination and Practical Assessment as per CAAM standards. The Theoretical Examination has 60 questions, with a passing mark of 75%, while the Practical Assessments consists of Pre-flight, In-flight and Post-flight Actions, where you would need to pass all sections of the test in two attempts.
  • What training do I need to fly a drone?
    You do not need formal drone training if you fly a drone for leisure or as a hobby. However, it is essential that you know the basic safety rules. If you want to become a safe and competent drone operator for work, it is advisable to undergo formal training. This is to ensure that you can operate with precision and fully understand the sophisticated capabilities of your flight control system. It is also crucial to internalise safety precautions for drone operations as drone operators share the public airspace. At Drone Academy Asia, you can undergo the Professional Drone Operator Course. A Remote Pilot Certificate of Competency (RCoC) would be needed for those using drones for commercial work, especially for operations with increased risk for other persons or air traffic. You would need to conduct a comprehensive risk assessment and provide proof of competency as a Drone Operator or Remote Pilot.
  • Are the courses HRDF claimable?
    All our courses are HRD Corp (HRDF) Claimable and it is for companies that are registered under the Human Resources Development Corporation. You need to consult with you Human Resource Department in order to check if your company is registered with HRD Corp. Feel free to reach out to us if you need further guidance on this matter.
  • Do I need permission from CAAM for Commercial Drone Operations?
    Yes. Under the Malaysian Civil Aviation Regulation 2016 (MCAR 2016), you are required to obtain an Authorisation to Fly (ATF) from the Civil Aviation Authority of Malaysia (CAAM) for your commercial drone operations. In the future, drone operators in Malaysia will have the option of operating under the Open Category or Specific Category. The Open Category is considered low or no risk, which is typically for leisure or simple commercial drone operations. A Specific Category gives you more freedom to operate larger drones or in higher risk areas such as urban areas. You must have a Remote Pilot Certificate of Competency (RCoC) to apply for operations that fall under the Specific Category.
  • How do I apply for an Authorisation to Fly (ATF) for my Commercial Drone Operations?
    If your UAS operation is: Not classified as Special UAS Project or Agricultural UAS Operations; Flown within Visual Line of Sight (VLOS) in the Class G Airspace; Using a UA less than 20 kilogrammes, You will most likely require to submit a Standard Application for an Authorisation to Fly (ATF). The term “Operation Permit” also refers to the ATF. The application form can be obtained at: The completed application form and supporting documents must be submitted to CAAM at least fourteen (14) days before the intended activity date.
  • Is there a minimum age to become a drone pilot?
    The minimum age requirement to become a drone pilot is 18 years old.
  • Where am I allowed to fly my drone?
    You are allowed to fly your drone at designated area with an approval from CAAM, but adhering to the following rules: Maintain direct and unaided Visual Line of Sight at all times; No operations over or within 150 metres of any designated area or assemblies of more than 1,000 persons; No operations within 50 metres of any vessels or persons; and No operations within 30 metres of any person during take-off or landing.
  • What is RCoC-B?
    The RCoC-B, or in other words, the Remote Pilot Certificate of Competency - Basic is a comprehensive CAAM Certified 5-days course that covers Air Law and Responsibilities, UAS Airspace Operating Principles, Airmanship and Aviation Safety, Meteorology, Human Performance Limitations and UAS Operational Procedures (Pre-Flight, In-Flight, Post-Flight Actions). Upon passing the Theoretical Examination and Practical Assessment as per CAAM standards, trainees will receive the RCoC-B certificate. The RCoC-B certificate is a pre-requisite to RCoC Module 1 EVLOS (Extended Visual Line of Sight) and Module 2 AGR (Agricultural UAS Operations).
  • What drones will I fly in the Drone Academy Asia RCoC-B Course?
    You would be operating the DJI Matrice 300 RTK during the RCoC-B Course. As most of you thinking to take up the RCoC-B course are using drones for work or intend to do so, it is paramount that you undergo training using drones designed and built for work.
  • Does completing this drone course earn me a Drone License by CAAM?
    You might have heard many people talking about "Drone Licenses in Malaysia." Note that there is No Drone Licenses Yet but a Remote Pilot Certificate of Competency which is the closest you could obtain in Malaysia today. If you are still uncertain about this, come talk to one of our Education Consultants before investing in any training programme.
  • Is this certificate recognised internationally?
    No. Remote Pilots/Drone Operators have to adhere to local laws in different countries, and there is currently no one certificate or drone license that is valid to fly legally internationally. This certificate would be recognised by the Civil Aviation Authority of Malaysia.
  • How many exams are there in the RCoC-B course and what is the passing mark?
    There is a theoretical examination and a practial assessment in the RCoC-B Course. With 60 multiple choice questions, the passing mark for the theoretical examination is 75%.
  • What are the requirements to enroll to the RCoC-B course?
    The minimum age requirement for our courses is 18 years old and the pre-requisite is a minimum C+ in English for your SPM. If you do not have your SPM Certificate, please consult us during the enrolment phase.

Can't find what you're looking for? Our friendly education consultants are more than happy to assist you. Get in touch with the team today!
CallWhatsapp | Email

bottom of page